[linux-lvm] LVM success story

scott at dixie.dyndns.org scott at dixie.dyndns.org
Thu May 24 22:55:31 UTC 2001

I know this list gets quite a few complaints and bug reports, so I figured
a success story would be a welcome post :)  After fighting a bit with the
BIOS and lilo, it was good to see how quickly and seamlessly LVM caught its
breath and kept moving.  I had LVM 0.9.1b6 on 2.2.19 for quite some time
when I decided I was sick of having to boot off of floppy due to BIOS
incompatibilities, so I flipped the primary and secondary chains such that
hda became hdc and hdb became hdd.  The only disk that gave -any- problem
was the root disk, which wasn't LVM anyway so I expected problems.  As far
as the other 3, which were LVM'd into several LV's under a single VG, I
just had to remove the lvm files from /etc and do a vgscan.

One weirdness I did see while fighting with lilo was a few times was that
it would see my scsi vg and detect its name but vgdisplay subsequentally
would see 2 identical vg's, both the ide/internal disk vg.  It is entirely
possible that it was just a weirdness with my lvm files in /etc, however,
as a complete clean and rescan fixed it.

Great job on a much-needed volume manager for linux!
Scott Denton
smdenton at bellsouth.net
EFNet Handle: SteelWyng