[linux-lvm] Re: vgscan - volume group not found, panic!

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Fri May 25 07:14:21 UTC 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 12:38:04AM +0200, Gerben Meijer wrote:
> Dear LVM users and developers,
>
> I am experiencing problems with LVM. I am running Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 with
> a 2.4.3-ac11 kernel, and LVM utils v0.9 (i use the packages from bunk at
> http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/). I had

(note to developers: i am starting to believe taht bumping IOP in b6 was not such
a bad idea, if that helps us getting rid of broken tools.
mebbe we should bump IOP in vanilla kernel....)

> Then I decided to try to upgrade to the latest LVM version, both in the
> kernel and the userspace utilities. So i patched my 2.4.3 kernel with the
> latest LVM patches (0.9.1beta7). I got an error while compiling my kernel
> though, get_hardblocksize wasn't defined anywhere. So i went back digging on

just replace get_hardblock_size with get_hardsect_size in drivers/md/lvm.c
or get latest version from cvs

> google and found one patch that fixed that for me:
> http://www.stacken.kth.se/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.4a
> a2.bz2.

i dunno which LVM version does andrea use in his patches

> So finally i had a working kernel with the latest LVM drivers, and i had the
> latest LVM userspace utils, and i had my hopes up. Unfortunately, vgscan
> still didn't see anything, and vgcfgrestore gave me an error
> (vg_check_consistency_with_pv_and_lv).
>
> Next, I tried using 2.4.4-ac9 with the original 0.9 userspace utilities.
> Still nothing.

in case you did not guess it from my note above original 0.9 userspace utils are bad
for your health

> I'm out of options here, and I am hoping that you can help me rescue my
> data. If you have any idea what I could try to fix this, please let me know.
>
> Debugged output i created:
sigh this debug output is very hard to read, anyway at the end you see
<55555> pv_read_uuidlist -- LEAVING with ret: 2
this means it only found the uiid for 2 PV (not 3)
they are u9.... and M4.... (sda1 and hda2)
cross checking with pvdata output shows you have a known problem

i'll attach a mail from Andreas Dilger with a solution for this.

good luck!
L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.