[linux-lvm] lvm on root filesystem with devfs

Joe Harvell harvell at nortelnetworks.com
Fri May 25 23:08:42 UTC 2001

I made a custom initrd to bring up lvm on my root filesystem.  When not
running a kernel with devfs, I simply cpio the /dev entries from the ram
filesystem into the lvm root filesystem before doing pivot_root.  This
is so the remaining lvm filesystems can be mounted.  Everything works
fine in this case.

When I run with devfs, though, the /dev entries don't ever show up in
/dev when I do a vgscan.  The result is that I am not able to mount the
lvm root filesystem.

   * Does the fact that I have lvm compiled as a module have anything to
     do with this?
   * Assuming the entries are created, then I shouldn't have to use cpio
     anymore (with devfs).  Right?

---
Joe Harvell