[linux-lvm] Re: After power outtage my vg is gone

Klaus Pedersen ultra at mailme.dk
Thu Nov 1 12:41:02 UTC 2001

Hi again

I finally got my problem solved, so I write this message to tell others how
I solved it, so it's in the mail archives - and also because I want to point
out that this should be in the HOW-TO, since my problem is probably not so
uncommonm and very easy to solve - IF you know how.

Basically my problem is that after a power outtage I was unable to mount my
vgs - I got this message :

Vault:/home/ultra# mount /glftpd/site
mount: /dev/site_vg/lvol1 is not a valid block device

I found out that the problem is that the file /etc/lvmtab and the directory
/etc/lvmtab.d is gone for some reason.

Basically I solved this with a big help from Andreas to dropped me a short
message to use vgcfgrestore, so I did.
In the how-to I find it very vagely documented exactly what this tool does,
and when it's being used.
Also, I was unable to read in the how-to that after this is the sequence of
commands that should be used :
vgcfgrestore -n site_vg /dev/hda8
vgcfgrestore -n site_vg /dev/hdb1
(my vg consists of those two partitions)

vgscan -a y (to activate the vg)

and then do the actual mounting :

mount /glftpd/site

Yes, I know that to some very experienced LVM developer and such, this is
VERY simple - but to a guy like me who really doesn't know much about LVM,
it was very advanced and hard to find out.

So please - put an advanced troubleshooting guide in the LVM how-to on
sistina.com - I find it very hard to believe that I am the only one who
could use it.

/Klaus