[linux-lvm] Does LVM detect drive failures?

lembark at wrkhors.com lembark at wrkhors.com
Tue Nov 6 11:43:02 UTC 2001

-- Quentin Arce <qarce at yahoo.com> on 11/06/01 09:20:21 -0800

> Hello,
>
>  I'm not on the mailing list so please reply to all.
> Thanks.
> My question is does LVM detect drive failures?  I am
> thinking about building two small logical volumes of 2
> drives each then mirroring them using md.  I know md
> will detect that the array contains a failed drive
> under normal conditions, but I would think that in
> this case an entire logical volume would have to fail
> in order for it to be detected.  That is unless I can
> watch my logs for LVM giving me an error like I do for
> md errors.
>
>  One other question... I'll search the md info if no
> one knows this off the top...  does the md layer store
> info about the size of the drive on the drive?  I'm
> worried about adding more dives to a logical volume
> which is a part of a md stripe.

LVM is going to have more problems with hardware failures
than RAID. You are better off building VG's out of mirrored
PV's (or, if you have 2+ drives w/tih 4+ partitions use
RAID5). The RAID will keep PV's available for LVM.

--
Steven Lembark                              2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL 60647