[linux-lvm] 1.0.1rc4 tools don't like me!

Todd M. Roy troy at holstein.com
Wed Nov 14 09:21:02 UTC 2001

Well, I found out what the problem is with the LVM
tools at least 1.0.1rc4 and cvs version.

It appears that /proc must be mounted for at least vgscan
and vgchange to work.  This was *NOT* the case for tools version 1.0.

Naturally my juryrigged slackware rc.S script does
a vgchange -a y before the mount -a.... which stopped working
because /proc wasn't mounted yet.  Similarly rc.0 had the
vgchange -a n after the umount -a.

This was all on "stock" 2.4.15-pre3/4 kernels without any patches.

Thanks to all who emailed my with ideas and tips.

If anybody has fairly recent slackware rc. scripts I'd love to
see them.  They are no doubt way better than mine.

-- todd --