[linux-lvm] root fs on a LVM cause kernel panic

Daniel Savard dsavard at videotron.ca
Thu Nov 15 13:40:02 UTC 2001

Yes I did.

The behavior is exactly as you stated. It seems the VGs are never detected and
then the device for the root filesystem remains invalid.

Is there anything I can do to check what is going wrong? I am new to the initrd
and its usage. I don't know how to work with this beast... I don't think it is
related to the lilo.conf. I saw a comment in the linux-lvm mailing list from Les
Hazelton Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:11:05-0500, it is very similar to my problem.
However, no solution is described.

I looked at the lvmcreate_initrd script and found the actual libraries where
not included in the image, just the symlinks where taken. I modified the script
in order to include the actual libraries. It didn't work.

The exact message is as follow:

(snip)
VFS: Cannot open root device "3a01" or 3a:01
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:01

Daniel Savard