[linux-lvm] Not able to format logical volume

Frode Ulsund frode at gangstah.net
Fri Nov 16 15:40:02 UTC 2001

Hi.

I have added five ide-drives to my volume group. 5 x 80 gb.
I have created the VG with PE size 8 mb witch gives me a max
logical volume size 512 gb.

My first problem starts when i try to use the whole volume group size
as one logical volume. I got 364 gb free, but i can't use more PEs than
320 gb in one LV. Rest of the space is just unusable unallcated space. I
don't understand this.

So i created a 5 disks striped logical volume
(lvcreate -i5 -I4 -L320G -nlv01 vg01 /dev/hda5 /dev/hde1 /dev/hdf1 /dev/hdg1
/dev/hdh1)

The logical volume looks nice with lvdisplay but when i try to put a
filesystem on the device my computer hangs in the start of the process.
Any ideas what I might have done wrong?

---
Frode Ulsund