[linux-lvm] Logical Volume max-size?

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Mon Nov 19 08:25:02 UTC 2001

On Mon, Nov 19 '01 at 08:00, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> GB> While the cards may be cool, their raid 5 implementation sucks
> GB> like hell. slow like a slug, and if it should ever become dirty
> GB> the system is unuseable for about 6 hours.
> Don't run the 6000-series cards in RAID5 mode; they weren't designed
I figured this out the hard way. I asked some 3ware person whether I
could use a 6800 as a RAID5 controller and was told, that it would work
fine.
> for it.  Use software RAID instead; it works just fine and the card is
> still cost-effective as an 8-channel IDE controller.
This is true.
> What you say is blatantly untrue for the 7000-series cards; the 7850
> should be even faster.
As an owner of two 6800 this does not help me at all :-(, but hey they
got better, what is cool.

> Why the proliferation of 3ware misinformation on this list lately?
It was only me who disappointed by the 6xxx series RAID5 performance

    Goetz.