[linux-lvm] Chicken and egg problem..

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Wed Nov 21 08:31:01 UTC 2001

-- Georges Giralt <georges.giralt at free.fr>

> Hello !
> As I've previously said, I plan to make my RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.5) a
> pure LVM  machine.
> To do so, I've build the 1.0.4 version of LVM into the kernel (with the
> NCR SCSI  driver). As to avoid an initrd. Simple is beautifull...
>
> In the sysinit rc script, Redhat has put a vg activation command, but....
> My kernel panics, as it is unable to mount root, as the LVM activation
> commands  are after the root fsck (and mount..)
>
> If I put the LVM activation lines early, in the sysinit script, these
> commands  complains beeing not able to access /etc/lvmtab....

The kernel panic is extactly why you probably wouldn't
want to use only LVM on the system. Leaving the root
volume (a.k.a., '/'), primary swap and probably /var on
the first three partitions of the boot device will make
your life enormously simpler in the long run.

This is pretty much the only way you'll be able to
convienently recover from any LVM problems in the future.
Otherwise you'll need bootable media floating around.

                                            +1 800 762 1582