[linux-lvm] Chicken and egg problem..

Brian J. Murrell 724b581f59b221086926026402b50126 at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Nov 21 12:36:02 UTC 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 02:30:25AM -0600, Steven Lembark wrote:

> The kernel panic is extactly why you probably wouldn't
> want to use only LVM on the system.

I do it.  Only my boot partition is a regular ol' partition.  I won't
say I haven't had problems that I had to recover from in the past with
an LVM root, but luckily enough my distro vendor's LVM support is
decent and their BOOT kernel/media has an LVM module built for it.

> Leaving the root
> volume (a.k.a., '/'), primary swap and probably /var on
> the first three partitions of the boot device will make
> your life enormously simpler in the long run.

I completely disagree.  Eventually you will get to a point where an
upgrade of your system will require more space in / or /usr and even
just normal usage will want more space in /var.  Being able to expand
these easily with LVM is awesome!

> This is pretty much the only way you'll be able to
> convienently recover from any LVM problems in the future.

Just use a good boot disk.  You are even luckier if your distro
vendor's stock kernel and/or media support LVM.

> Otherwise you'll need bootable media floating around.

Of course.  Don't you always?  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell