[linux-lvm] resize reiserfs

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Thu Nov 22 13:34:01 UTC 2001

Why not just use the resize_reiserfs program from the reiserfsprogs
package available from
ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiserfsprogs/reiserfsprogs-3.x.0j.tar.gz   ?

Snip from manpage:

NAME
       resize_reiserfs - Reiserfs filesystem resizer

SYNOPSIS
       resize_reiserfs [ -s [+|-]size[K|M|G] ] [ -fqv ] device

DESCRIPTION
       The resize_reiserfs tool resizes an unmounted reiserfs file
system.  It enlarges or shrinks an reiserfs file system located on a
device so that it will have size bytes or size=old_size +(-) size
       bytes if the + or - prefix is used.  If the -s option is not
specified, the filesystem will be resized to fill the given device.  The
size parameter may have one of the optional modifiers K,  M,
       G, which means the size parameter is given in kilo-, mega-,
gigabytes respectively.

       The  resize_reiserfs  program  does  not manipulate the size of
the device. If you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must make sure you
expand the underlying device first. This can be done using
       cfdisk(8) for partitions, by deleting the partition and
recreating it with a larger size (assuming there is free space after the
partition in question).  Make sure you re-create it with the same
       starting disk cylinder as before!  Otherwise, the resize
operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem.

       The resize_reiserfs program allows to grow a reiserfs on-line if
there is a free space on block device.

       If  you  wish  to  shrink an reiserfs partition, first use
resize_reiserfs to shrink the file system. You may then use cfdisk(8) to
shrink the device. When shrinking the size of the device, make
       sure you do not make it smaller than the reduced size of the
reiserfs filesystem.