[linux-lvm] LVM performance

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Nov 23 08:11:02 UTC 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Volker Jahns wrote:
> Also, why don't you use a "cheap" raid controller which will do the
> homework for you in hardware _not_ software?

  Most "cheap" IDE "RAID controllers" implement RAID in the device driver.
The card itself is just a regular IDE controller with a special BIOS.  The
CPU still does all the work, and you still have to deal with IDE bus
contention problems.

  For IDE hardware RAID, we have had good luck with 3Ware's Escalade series.
We have never tried anything beyond RAID-1 mirroring, though.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>