[linux-lvm] Here we go again: vgscan doesn't see my volume groups.

Lars Kellogg-Stedman thelars at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 22:32:01 UTC 2001

Everything was working great...

Without too much backstory, I'm stuck in a minimal shell in an initrd
and can't boot.  I've got a single volume group (formerly two volume
groups, vgmerged together) that contains, among other things, my root
volume.  Help!

This is a different problem than what I encountered earlier, which
appeared to be a problem with software RAID devices that went away when
I upgraded to the latest code from CVS.  I'm now using whatever was in
CVS as of Monday Nov. 19.

The pv's that make up this volume group are /dev/sde3, /dev/sde4, and
/dev/md0.  According to pvscan, they're all present and accounted for:

  pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/md0"   is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
  pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sde3"   is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
  pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sde4"   is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)

But vgscan doesn't find the volume group.  pvdisplay for each pv:

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sde3
  VG Name               vg-0
  PV Size               4.40 GB / NOT usable 6.59 MB [LVM: 128.00 KB]
  PV#                   2
  PV Status             NOT available
  Allocatable           yes
  Cur LV                0
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              1124
  Free PE               1124
  Allocated PE          0
  PV UUID               gb2KSo-B62e-NbC8-Ja4R-1n6G-CYP1-aJiO38

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sde4
  VG Name               vg-0
  PV Size               11.81 GB / NOT usable 7.82 MB [LVM: 135.00 KB]
  PV#                   1
  PV Status             available
  Allocatable           yes
  Cur LV                2
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              3022
  Free PE               1397
  Allocated PE          1625
  PV UUID               u28il4-d2tR-AkpG-t9EL-DjVQ-epKy-S05nIl

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/md0
  VG Name               vg-0
  PV Size               8.48 GB / NOT usable 2.75 MB [LVM: 129.00 KB]
  PV#                   3
  PV Status             available
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  Cur LV                1
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              2169
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          2169
  PV UUID               HHv1Tm-79Hx-uk4m-caqb-QUA5-8WGF-0yUe4Q

Is there anything I can do to make this volume group available?

-- Lars

=====
lars at larsshack.org