[linux-lvm] Re: Here we go again: vgscan doesn't see my volume groups.

Lars Kellogg-Stedman thelars at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 14:11:02 UTC 2001

> Post it to the lvm-devel list, or put it on a web page.  Those
> "skilled in the art of throwing away the tons of crap that LVM
> debugging output prints" should be able to see why it isn't
> recognizing your VG.

I'm posting this to lvm-devel as suggested.

A quick recap for folks reading lvm-devel who aren't reading linux-lvm:
My primary system is stuck in a busybox shell on an initrd because I
can't get LVM to recognize the volume group containing my root volume.
No root, no boot.  The PV's that make up the volume group are
/dev/sde3, /dev/sde4, and /dev/md0.  All are present and accounted for,
and pvscan recognizes them:

  pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
  pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/md0"   is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
  pvscan -- WARNING: physical volume "/dev/sda" belongs to a meta
device
  pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sde3"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
  pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sde4"  is associated to an unknown VG
(run vgscan)
  pvscan -- total: 4 [24.68 GB] / in use: 4 [24.68 GB] / in no VG: 0
[0]

But vgscan doesn't find any volume groups.  The result of running
vgscan -d is attached to this email.  If someone out there in devel
land can shed some light on this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

-- Lars

=====
lars at larsshack.org