[linux-lvm] LVM limit on PE's/size?

Scott P pichelma at berbee.com
Tue Nov 27 11:35:01 UTC 2001

Hi all...

I hope I'm not asking a too pettty of a question for this list!

We are planning to add a 3 rd EXP300 array to out current server w/ 2
EXP300's in place already!
We WILL surpass the 1 TB size, if possible?

A little history:

Linux ptb3 2.2.19 #2 SMP Tue Jul 24 11:53:29 CDT 2001 i686 unknown

I have two IBM EXP300 RAID arrays connected to a Netfinity 4500R running
Redhat Linux 6.2.
LVM compiled into kernel AFAIK...w/ patch?

We are using:
lvm_0.9.1_beta7
reiserfsprogs-3.x.0j

Here is the current filesystem and size:

/dev/exp300_2/exp300_lv2 924160464 891307744  32852720      97% /files1

Just wondering about this faq:

                           Q:
                               Why are my logical volumes limited to 256
GB in size?
                           A:
                               This is NO absolute limit but it depends
on the physical extent size you configured at volume group
                               creation time.

                               Please use option -s of the vgcreate
command to give a larger physical extent size. For example with a
                               physical extent size of 524288 KB (512
MB) you are able to map a logical volume of 32 Terabyte.
                               Remember that current Linux kernels are
limited to 1 Terabyte.

***Especially about the part in bold!

Please let me know if you need more details,  I will supply asap!

TIA!

-Scott