[linux-lvm] Is lvmcreate_initrd expected to work?

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Thu Nov 29 03:03:02 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 05:56:13PM -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> Now that we've solved the pressing oh-my-goodness-my-system-won't-boot
> problem, I've got a few other questions.
>
> The lvm package comes with the nifty lvmcreate_initrd command...but in
> my experience it simply doesn't work.  While it's especially clever
> about resolving library dependencies, it seems to ignore the issue of
> kernel modules.

Yes it does ignore the issue of kernel modules. It's quite hard for
lvmcreate_initrd to know just which modules are needed to get the system booted,
though I suppose it's possible.

It is recommended that you build the kernel with the drivers needed to mount the
root partition compiled in, rather than as modules. I realise this goes against
the Red Hat methodology of having everything as a module.

patrick