[linux-lvm] df and lvscan show differnet sizes

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at larsshack.org
Thu Nov 29 08:50:02 UTC 2001

Jonathan S. Polacheck wrote:

> I am running Mandrake 8.1 w/devfs. df shows the original size of
> /dev/vol_usr and /dev/vol_var.  lvscan shows sizes after lvextend.  I have
> rebooted.

Jonathan,

lvscan is showing you the amount of available space on the LVM *device*,
while df is showing you the size of the *filesystem*.  The filesystem
will not automatically expand to fill the additional space -- you have
to do this manually using a tool such as e2fsadm or resize2fs (for
ext2), xfs_growfs (for xfs), resize_reisterfs (for reiserfs), or
whatever other tool is appropriate for the filesystem you're using.

-- Lars