[linux-lvm] df and lvscan show differnet sizes

Eric M. Hopper hopper at omnifarious.org
Thu Nov 29 08:53:08 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:26:28AM -0600, Jonathan S. Polacheck wrote:
> I am running Mandrake 8.1 w/devfs. df shows the original size of
> /dev/vol_usr and /dev/vol_var.  lvscan shows sizes after lvextend.  I have
> rebooted.

	You have to run a filesystem resize utility to get the
filesystems to change size and occupy the whole lv.  In reiserfs,
extending a filesystem can be done while the filesystem is online.  With
ext2 and ext3, extending the fs online requires a special kernel patch,
but can be done while the filesystem is unmounted.

	In all such cases, rebooting is totally unecessary.  You can do
it all online.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."  --- Thomas Jefferson