[linux-lvm] Mandrake 8.1 and LVM

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at larsshack.org
Thu Nov 29 15:16:08 UTC 2001

> I don't know why people even think of doing that...
> Can *anyone* give a good reason (and I don't include
> "because its tidier to have everything LVM") for having
> root on LVM?

Sure, for the same reason you put *anything* on LVM -- for flexibility
in storage allocation.  With root on LVM, you can:

(a) create filesystem snapshots for performing consistent backups (or
for providing a simple 'oops-I-didn't-mean-to-delete-that-just-now' file
recovery).

(b) dynamically expand the amount of space available to the root partition.

(c) Migrate data to a new set of disks on a live system.

And, of course, it *is* tidier to have everything on LVM :).

On the other hand, there is an element of risk when managing your root
filesystem with code that hasn't yet stabilized.  It also leads to
increased complexity.  In particular, you'll probably want to build some
sort of rescue CD with LVM support in case something goes wrong, since
most existing rescue tools don't have LVM support.

-- Lars