[linux-lvm] Mandrake 8.1 and LVM

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at larsshack.org
Thu Nov 29 19:09:01 UTC 2001

mitch at mdmiller.com wrote:

> Pardon me for being a neophyte here, but what else goes on the root
> partition which takes any significant or dynamic amount of space?  Isn't
> the root just a place to put all the top level directories, the contents
> of which are typically all on another partition anyway?

It largely depends on how you set up your system.

For instance, on most systems I set up, I end up having / and /usr on
the same filesystem, which means that any RPMS I install end up on the
root partition.  If you start with a fairly small install and later
decide to add a bunch of flashy office suites, games, or multimedia
applications, your storage requirements can change drastically.

-- Lars