[linux-lvm] Mandrake 8.1 and LVM

Chad C. Walstrom chewie at wookimus.net
Fri Nov 30 19:24:02 UTC 2001

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 11:05:22AM +1300, Steve Wray wrote:
> > Why would you want/need to have /usr/share writeable?  FHS 2.2 states:
>
> On redhat and mandrake for two, there are things in /usr/share that
> are written to at runtime.  One I can think of right off the bat is
> cddb information.

Ah, yes.  The critical system applications, bat and cddb.  No reason to
configure or recompile (if they, *gasp* have hardcoded paths in their
executables) these to actually store their caches under a more resonable
location.  Perhaps the partition that is most often dedicated to
variable data generated by applications during their runtime...  /var.

> [snip]
> >         Game data stored in /usr/share/games must be purely static data.
> >         Any modifiable files, such as score files, game play logs, and so
> >         forth, should be placed in /var/games.
>
> Since when was any distribution 100% compliant with the standards?

Especially if you're talking about Red Hat and Mandrake. ;-)

Seriously, I think it is perfectly reasonable to be a nazi with your
filesystem.  But this is SO way off topic right now, I'm going to
refrain from further comment.

Have a great weekend!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie