[linux-lvm] lvcreate segfault in vg_setup_pointers_for_snapshots

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Wed Oct 3 19:30:21 UTC 2001

On Oct 03, 2001  21:12 +0200, svetljo wrote:
> you can not expect that lvm tools will work in case the kernel code is
> different version
> every time you change the tools you should also patch the kernel

Actually no, you _should_ be able to use different kernel and tools
together _provided_ that the IOP version is the same.  Conversely,
no changes should be made to the tools which break the IOP verion
(either by forcing it to change under 2.4 kernels if it is not needed,
or by changing the data structures and NOT updating the IOP version).

> in the case with 0.9.1beta7,
> i didn't know that it is possible to use any lvm code prior lvm-1.0.1rc1
> ( the min -max changes in linus's 2.4.9 -- the reason for lvm-1.0.1rc1)
> and thats making me to think that you didn't patch the kernel,
> the plain kernel comes with lvm-0.9.1beta2
> so see again the begining

The min/max issues are easily fixed (and have been reverted in 2.4.10).
Also, the tool version and kernel version SHOULD NOT need to match
exactly (that's what IOP is for).

Infomation about whether the coredump is in user space or a kernel oops
would be helpful.  Also, there is a known issue about the "inline"
functions, which may not have been fixed yet (it is a compiler bug).

Cheers, Andreas