[linux-lvm] What have I done!?

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Thu Oct 4 17:57:21 UTC 2001

-- Andreas Dilger <adilger at turbolabs.com>

>> Is there a way that I can blow the whole thing away and start over?  I
>> think I've screwed things up too badly to try to resurrect them.  I'd
>> really like to blow it all away and start over and see if this stuff
>> happens again, but again I can't use the lv* tools to remove the
>> configurations because of the errors I mention in my initial post so I
>> need a manual way to blow away the entire LVM configuration and start
>> from scratch again.
>
> "pvcreate -ff" I think

If you really want to wipe things clean:

    (1) vgexport /dev/vgname; # avoids collisions w/ stale config info.
    (2) for disk in your disks here; do pvcreate -ff $disk; done;

The export isn't strictly necessar:  rm -rf and a vgscan should do the
same basic thing with a few nastygrams added in.  Personally, I get
enough nastygrams to prefer avoiding a few more :-)

--
Steven Lembark                                               2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                                       Chicago, IL 60647