[linux-lvm] LVM seems to be causing SCSI errors.

Joe Thornber thornber at btconnect.com
Mon Oct 8 16:20:39 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 07:52:50PM -0000, Karl wrote:
> > Well, if it is within the size of the drive, and you get a "bad noise"
> > when trying to access it, then it may be that you have a bad drive.  If
> > you are doing low-level formats of the drive, this may do bad block
> > relocation, and hide the fact that there are bad spots.
>
> That's what I thought at first, but as I explained earlier, the errors
> ONLY occur when running under LVM and go away as soon as I use the raw
> disk. I went back and forth several times. I'm pretty sure it is an LVM
> thing, but no idea what it is.

The only thing I can think is that the SCSI device is not being
opened/initialised properly by LVM.  This certainly wasn't happening
before ~July when I put the open/close_pv() functions in.  But should
be working now.  Puzzled.  You really are using the new tools and not
old binaries in strange places ?  I've been caught a couple of times
by this ...

- Joe