[linux-lvm] SnapRestore software on NetApp

Joe Thornber thornber at btconnect.com
Fri Oct 19 08:08:53 UTC 2001

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:20:22PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> This may be possible to do in the short term with writable snapshots,
> but then you start getting into a very ugly situation where the "good"
> volume (i.e. the writable snapshot) depends on the snapshot, which
> depends on the original "bad" volume and you can't get rid of any of them.

I suppose the ideal solution is to allow people to choose which way
round a snapshot is taken depending on whether they thinks it's likely
they'll rollback, or commit to the snapshot.

ie.

You probably want to rollback; the snapshot lv contains new data written to
the snapshot (as it is now).  Rollback is quick, commit (merge) is slow.

You probably want to commit to the snapshot; the snapshot lv contains
copies of the original data.  Rollback (merge) is slow, commit is quick.

- Joe