[linux-lvm] LVM 0.9/1.0.x migration

Joe Thornber thornber at btconnect.com
Fri Oct 19 07:40:02 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 12:26:25PM +0200, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just have a question:
>
> I saw that README.1st and pvversion have vanished between
> 1.0 and 1.0.1-rcX.
>
> Does this mean that there is no way or no need to upgrade
> anymore? Any disadvantages with continuing to use the old
> version?

You no longer need to upgrade to version 2 data structures.  Newer
releases understand both formats so there's no reason not to upgrade.
Newer releases will down grade any version 2 VG's it finds when you
next *change* the metadata (eg. resize an LV).

Version 2 was bogus and resulted from my not realising that
pv->pe_on_disk.size included all the blank space upto the first PE.
Making pv->pe_start redundant.

- Joe