[linux-lvm] segmentation fault when lvcreate is run

Brent Harding bharding at doorpi.net
Sun Oct 21 23:04:02 UTC 2001

		The subject line pretty much says what's going on when I'm trying to use
lvm. I am running redhat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.3-12. I've done everything the
howto said, used parted to split my partition in half to get ready for
migrating things over to lvm. I get the root vg created, but can't create
the lv, the script follows. I've also attached the core from when it dumped
core, don't know anything about c programming, but sure some fix is
available, using 1.0rc4, the latest downloaded on Thursday or Friday last
week, and did apply the kernel patch, configged the lvm stuff to y.
Script started on Sun Oct 21 22:52:07 2001
[root@/root]# pvdisplay /dev/hdb4
pvdisplay -- "/dev/hdb4" is a new physical volume of 3.13 GB

[root@ /root]# vgcreate root /dev/hdb4
vgcreate -- INFO: using default physical extent size 4.00 MB
vgcreate -- INFO: maximum logical volume size is 255.99 Gigabyte
vgcreate -- doing automatic backup of volume group "root"
vgcreate -- volume group "root" successfully created and activated

[root@ /root]# lvcreate root -L 3g -nrootlv
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[root at e /root]# vgdisplay root
--- Volume group ---
VG Name               root
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                255
Cur LV                0
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           255.99 GB
Max PV                255
Cur PV                1
Act PV                1
VG Size               3.12 GB
PE Size               4.00 MB
Total PE              799
Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0
Free  PE / Size       799 / 3.12 GB
VG UUID               1rTQox-98Qq-ByyE-7kB0-bi5a-6DY0-oSkjJA

[root@/root]# exit
Script done on Sun Oct 21 22:54:22 2001