[linux-lvm] Re: What really works?

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 05:35:02 UTC 2001

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:13:48PM -0400, Jason A. Lixfeld wrote:

> This is still a very annoying problem.  chattr -i <-- I corrected it
> this time :)  Doesn't make the files or directories deletable.  Any
> other ideas?

Use "chattr -ia".  The "-a" (append-only) attribute will also pin the
files against deletion.

Failing that, "debugfs" lets you forcibly delete files: "clri
<filename>" will clear the inode by force, and a subsequent e2fsck
will fix up the fs summary information to be consistent with the
destroyed file (including deleting the directory entry pointing to the
nuked inode).

Cheers,
 Stephen