[linux-lvm] read_intr errors

Erick Calder e at arix.com
Fri Oct 26 02:13:04 UTC 2001

Patrick,

looking over the man page on lvreduce it states:

> lvreduce allows you to reduce the size of a  logical  volume.
> Be  careful  when reducing a logical volume's size,
> because data in the reduced part is lost!!!

the above warning is not conclusive as to whether data loss occurs only when
the LV is full i.e. it has no choice but to lose data, of if data loss may
occur regardless i.e. there's no smarts in lvreduce to move data around...

can you clarify this point and perhaps reword the above for a next release
of that man page?

anyhow, I understand what you're suggesting... however it's not clear to me
what "a little" means... would 1K do? 1M?

here's what I've got:

# lvdisplay /dev/LVM/mp3z
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name                /dev/LVM/mp3z
VG Name                LVM
LV Write Access        read/write
LV Status              available
LV #                   1
# open                 1
LV Size                28.62 GB
Current LE             7327
Allocated LE           7327
Allocation             next free
Read ahead sectors     120
Block device           58:0

# pvdisplay /dev/hdc
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hdc
VG Name               LVM
PV Size               28.63 GB / NOT usable 6.69 MB [LVM: 152.00 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       4096
Total PE              7327
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          7327
PV UUID               vY9apM-RXf6-DtiS-m4LI-u7qT-iNjm-9SYnMz

with the above, would I do:

# lvreduce -l -1 /dev/LVM/mp3z

to test this theory?

1k thx - e