[linux-lvm] invalidate: busy buffer message on boot w/ 2.4.13

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Sat Oct 27 00:41:01 UTC 2001

On Oct 26, 2001  16:13 -0700, Mark wrote:
 [re: invalidate busy buffer]
> built and installed a 2.4.13 kernel and optioned on LVM support
> and i get this message about ten times when I boot

That's because LVM is overzealous about running invalidate_buffers() when
running vgscan (it shouldn't do that).  It was never able to invalidate
busy buffers, but now there is a warning when it tries to do so.  I would
submit a patch to remove the invalidate_buffers() call from PV_FLUSH, but
since the -ac kernel still has block devices in buffer cache, there is
the _possibility_ of a disconnect between user space and kernel space
w.r.t. snapshot data (which is written from kernel space).

Cheers, Andreas