[linux-lvm] vgscan / vgimport problems

Nay, Shawn snay at acsalaska.com
Tue Oct 30 12:37:02 UTC 2001

I am an LVM newbie but did manage to get it up and running on a non-system
disk.
I rebuild my system with the same version of Linux (Redhat 7.2), the same
kernel (2.4.9-7, which I recompiled for LVM), and the same version of LVM
(0.9.1_beta7).  By the way...I am using an old release of LVM due to my
inability to patch this kernel with 1.0.1-rc4.  The problem is that I am
unable to import my old vg.  This disk has remained untouched since my

pvscan output:
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdd"  is associated to an unknown VG (run
vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 1 [31.08 MB] / in use: 1 [31.08 MB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

vgscan output:
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "sundogvg"
vgscan -- only found 0 of 5120 LEs for LV /dev/sundogvg/datalv (0)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" can't get
data of volume group "sundogvg" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" creating
"/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"

vgimport output:
vgimport -- ERROR: physical volume "/dev/hdd" doesn't belong to an exported
volume group

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

This transmittal may contain confidential information intended solely for
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that you have received this transmittal in error; any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmittal is strictly
us immediately by reply or by telephone (collect at 907-564-1000) and ask to
speak with the message sender. In addition, please immediately delete this
message and all attachments. Thank you.