[linux-lvm] Re: After power outtage my vg is gone

Klaus Pedersen ultra at mailme.dk
Wed Oct 31 01:15:02 UTC 2001

I think that gave a little breakthrough :-)
First of all - as murphys law suggests, I don't have a backup to use with
vgcfgrestore - but with the tool I did manage to recreate both /etc/lvmtab
and /etc/lvmtab.d :

Vault:/home/ultra# vgcfgrestore -n site_vg /dev/hda8
vgcfgrestore -- VGDA for "site_vg" successfully restored to physical volume
"/dev/hda8"

Vault:/home/ultra# vgcfgrestore -n site_vg /dev/hdb1
vgcfgrestore -- VGDA for "site_vg" successfully restored to physical volume
"/dev/hdb1"

the only problem is that they are both really empty, so with vgscan I find
nothing :

Vault:/etc# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- no volume groups found

But to my big relief, the data is still present on the physical drives :

Vault:/etc# pvdisplay /dev/hda8
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hda8
VG Name               site_vg
PV Size               14.1 GB / NOT usable 1.21 MB [LVM: 135 KB]
PV#                   2
PV Status             available
Allocatable           yes
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       4096
Total PE              3610
Free PE               108
Allocated PE          3502
PV UUID               W9tkR7-eq02-6WBM-CBrU-Cdeb-I32v-RyFuLn

Vault:/etc# pvdisplay /dev/hdb1
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hdb1
VG Name               site_vg
PV Size               57.25 GB / NOT usable 3.96 MB [LVM: 178 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       4096
Total PE              14654
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          14654
PV UUID               u5vBzC-Hwu5-mjAt-5yN0-lS4E-crto-1jI9NZ

Thanks for the help so far Andreas, but where do I go from here ?

Thanks in advance

Klaus Pedersen