[linux-lvm] Foreign HD with LVM-Partition, how to read Data?

Alexander Bruns a.bruns at sauerland.de
Mon Sep 3 07:17:14 UTC 2001

Hi,

I hot a HardDrive from a crashed System. The System-Harddrive is
not recoverable, but the Harddrive with the LVM-Partition on it,
is still "alive".

There was only one Partition in the VolumeGroup, so all the Data
in the Logical Volume is on this single Partition.

Is there a way in to get the data read out of the Partition? It
was formated with reiserfs on a RedHat Linux 7.1.

I activated the Hardware in my System and have now the same Running:

- RedHat 7.1 with all updates.
- self-compiled Kernel 2.4.6 with patched lvm 0.9.1_beta7

[root at holodeck lvmconf]# pvdisplay /dev/hda7
pvdisplay
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hda7
VG Name               lvm_volume_01
PV Size               48.54 GB / NOT usable 1.06 MB [LVM: 169 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       4096
Total PE              12425
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          12425
PV UUID               cFFBJX-aqxr-P7kU-71OY-pgpX-rvtA-XxVpoc

So is there a way to get the data read out of this partition?

Greetings from Alex