[linux-lvm] rh kernel patches

Erick Calder e at arix.com
Tue Sep 4 20:14:26 UTC 2001

Pierre,

I'd like to pass on some very useful advice I received from this list.

the LVM patches are made against Linus' kernel (which you can find at
kernel.org).  RedHat makes modifications to the kernel (to add device
drivers and god knows what else) and so the LVM patches may or may not work
against the RH-modified kernel, depending on whether RH modified some piece
that LVM patches.

The simplest thing to do is to just get the latest Linus kernel.  I
struggled with the RH 2.4.7 kernel until I decided it was not worth the time
and went and got the Linus kernel.  Make sure to get the LVM rc1 (at least)
since the 1.0 release had some problems with changes that Linus made.

I'm now happily running RH 7.0 with the 2.4.9 kernel.

- e