what i need is a little attention-RE [linux-lvm] SoftRaid and LVM Jean-Eric Cuendet

Jean-Eric Cuendet Jean-Eric.Cuendet at linkvest.com
Wed Sep 5 05:44:01 UTC 2001

Hi,
I'll give you my setup.
I have a 5 36Gb SCSI disks machine which do MD+LVM+ext2 on them
Each disk is splitted in 4 (~9Gb each partition) and then grouped 5 by 5
to form 4 MD (md5, md6, md7, md8) each ~36Gb in RAID5.
Then these 4 MDs are added in a VG and LVs are created for each need
(CVS, HOMES, FILES, ...).
The machine is a PIII 733 with 256Mb RAM and has RH7.1 installed
I use MD 0.90.0, LVM 1.0.1rc1 and e2fsprogs 1.23. I have NO reiserfs nor
XFS nor JFS.

All that works fine for me with little problems since upgrade to
LVM-0.9.1-beta7

Each partition on the physical disk is marked as fd (Linux RAID
autodectect) then pvcreate is made on /dev/md[5678] . There is no need
to put either "Linux Native (83)" nor "Linux LVM (8e)" on the /dev/md1
or something like that. Just the fd on physical partitions will do the
trick.

Hope this helps.
-jec