[linux-lvm] LV size maximum

Andreas Dilger adilger at turbolabs.com
Wed Sep 5 18:11:29 UTC 2001

On Sep 05, 2001  12:24 +0200, Ragnar Kj?rstad wrote:
> My guess is that you will be able to extend an old LV to more than 1 TB
> when the patches are in place, without having to do backup/restore, if
> you only choose a big enough extent size. (because the ondisk formats
> deal with extents, not sectors). Can anyone more familiar with the
> format please confirm this?

There is a current limit of 65536 LEs/LV so you need to work out LE/PE
size for the maximum LV size you want.  For 2TB (=40 bits) LV you need
16MB (= 40 - 16 = 24 bits) PE size.  Scale accordingly.  32MB PE size
is not a bad choice in any case, but as you get larger you also have
wastage of 3*PEsize/2 per LV with the new LVM tools.

Cheers, Andreas