[linux-lvm] PBs with LVM over software RAID ( and XFS ? ext2 reiserfs?)

svetljo galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Sep 5 18:57:02 UTC 2001

i can not understand one thing

Andreas Dilger wrote:

>If you had one that previously worked, then start with that one and
>work forwards until it stops working (maybe dividing the kernel version
>numbers in half for each try to narrow it down quicker).

i maked the VG and the LV's under 2.4.9-xfs lvm-1.0.1rc1
but i had the XFS- mount problem with it and JFS had no problems
and i upgraded to 2.4.10-pre2-xfs lvm-1.0.1rc2 and had no problems with
JFS and XFS
i tried with 2.4.9-ac5 lvm-1.0 and vanila 2.4.9 lvm-1.0.1rc1
with all these kernels it seemd that the LVM is working but i couldn't
format the LV with reiserfs and ext2
mke2fs and mkreiserfs simply segfaults without errors

>If you have never had this working properly, try some early kernel like
>2.4.5 and see if it works.  If not then I suspect you have a RAM problem,
>and you may want to swap/remove SIMM/DIMMs to see if you can isolate it.

i can not understand why do you think that i could have RAM problems
if i had RAM problems why would XFS and JFS working without problem and
mke2fs and mkreiserfs segfaulting

>There is a whole document in linux/Documentation/, like Oops-tracing.txt,
>BUG-HUNTING, etc.

i'll take a look at it

>Nobody HAS to help you with this problem (and it seems the Sistina
>folks are quiet on this issue) because you are not paying them anything.
>That is one of the good/bad features of Linux - you can _usually_ get
>free support for a problem, but you may have to do it yourself too.
>
>Cheers, Andreas

i know that and i really appreciate that you are trying to help me