[linux-lvm] lvcreate is segfaulting

William Vadnais giordanobruno at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 8 21:41:33 UTC 2001

[root at mp3gimp /root]# lvcreate -L6G -nnew -v test
lvcreate -- checking volume group name "test"
lvcreate -- checking volume group existence
lvcreate -- checking volume group activity
 [other verbosity removed]
lvcreate -- setting up logical volume
lvcreate -- setting read ahead sectors
lvcreate -- creating logical volume VGDA in kernel
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[root at mp3gimp linux]# dmesg | ksymoops
No modules in ksyms, skipping objects
Warning (read_lsmod): no symbols in lsmod, is
/proc/modules a valid lsmod file?
cpu: 0, clocks: 997540, slice: 498770
  Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
ds: no socket drivers loaded!

2 warnings issued.  Results may not be reliable.

LVM is compiled directly into kernel, not as a module.

I did remove completely the tools from the non CVS
version and then reinstalled LVM from the CVS source
(i did this previously, not just now ;)

[root at mp3gimp src]# strings /sbin/lvcreate | grep CVS
liblvm-10.so.CVS
Logical Volume Manager CVS
Heinz Mauelshagen, Sistina Software  CVS_DATE
[root at mp3gimp src]#

Thanks for the help, btw, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,
-Willie

--- svetljo <galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de>