[linux-lvm] LVM

IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R stuart at bh90210.net
Mon Sep 10 11:37:07 UTC 2001

List members:

	Hello to all, as I am somewhat new to the list. Perhaps one of you will recommend some basic reading to get me started, but I do have a few questions regarding LVM and my proposed deployment of it on my laptop.

	I have a Dell Laptop with two 32GB HDs, and a 1394 40GB HD. I am thinking to use LVM.

(a) I am running (2.4.8 or 2.4.9, I forget offhand) is LVM inclusive to the kernel in either of those releases?
(b) How does LVM juxtapose against a backdrop of a dual boot system, when W2K/PRO is one of the OSes installed.
(c) Same question, add FreeBSD (which I have not yet installed as of yet, but do plan to)?
(d) What about Solaris?
(e) Running W2K/PRO on a laptop does not allow for disk mirroring under windows, can LVM mirror my NTFS partition?

Can I run any filesystem with it? Will the new journaling filesystems work with it (I use ReiserFS at the moment, but I am not sure if it is the best for the money ... so to speak)?

	Is LVM still in a beta state, or is it trustable with my data to the extent you can note? I am not looking for an ironclad guarantee, but I am curious if most of the known bugs are gone.

	Any recommended reading (PDF format links if possible)?

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart at bh90210.net
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Monday, September 10, 2001 4:29 AM