[linux-lvm] [BUG] vgscan and removeable scsi disks

Ed Tomlinson tomlins at CAM.ORG
Sat Sep 29 11:37:27 UTC 2001

Hi,

I just had an lvm problem that triggered softdog to reboot my box.  I have a
digital camera and a smartmeadia reader.  Both the camera and the reader can
appear as sbd and/or sda.  Running a vgscan after I have inserted/mounted,
unmounted/removed these devices can cause vgscan to loop, or worst yet, to
stall the system (and trigger the watchdog code...).

1. Its obvious that vgscan needs better error checking/handling - once it gets
an error it should stop trying the device.

2. It would be a good idea to be able to supply vgscan with a backlist.  ie.
under no circumstances should it look at sda or sdb on my box.  Think of a box
with a defective drive you cannot replace just yet...

This is with 1.01-rc2 on 2.4.10

Comments?
Ed Tomlinson