[linux-lvm] Red Hat upgrade over existing LVM

Steve Wray steve.wray at paradise.net.nz
Sat Apr 6 15:30:02 UTC 2002

One other thing to consider is;
what exactly is it that you want to upgrade/update,
and what is it that you want to preserve?

What I am about to suggest is merely that; a suggestion.
The initial question was about upgrading from one redhat
version to another, so I dont *exactly* address that!

If you are not too deeply committed to redhat as such,
there is always mandrake; that supports LVM
at install or upgrade time.

If you install mandrake on top of your existing
redhat/LVM system, the mandrake installer will
see the existing volume groups and allow you to
allocate them to mount points etc; thereby not
*necessarily* losing data.

You could even create temporary volumes to
install mandrake on then migrate data from the old
volumes to the new ones.

Its rpm based and mostly compatible with redhat rpms.

Actually, since mandrake have been supporting this
for a few versions now, I am surprised that redhat
are lagging behind on this issue!

Warning tho; deleting volumes in the mandrake installer
doesnt work so well.