[linux-lvm] mount reiserfs snapshot failed

Wolfgang Weisselberg weissel at netcologne.de
Thu Apr 18 08:07:01 UTC 2002

Hi, Joe!

Joe Thornber (joe at fib011235813.fsnet.co.uk) wrote 31 lines:

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:33:31AM +0200, Markus Bartl wrote:
> > Im using the original kernel 2.4.18 with the locking patch and the
> > lvm-patch applied. I use the lvm in Version 1.1rc1.

> > In some cases mounting the snapshot volume fails with error 32 (wrong fs
> > type or bad superblock).

> Do version 1.0.3 tools fail in the same way ?

I am running a similar configuration:
Kernel 2.4.18-rc4
    + LVM 1.0.3
    + linux-2.4.18-VFS-lock.patch
    + sched-O1-2.4.18-pre8-K3.patch
I use ext3, and the LVM 1.0.3-tools + LVM-1.0.3-pmove-patch

Snapshots work.

I upgrade to 2.4.19-pre6, must merge the VFS-lock.patch by hand
and drop the sched-O1-* patch; and use the LVM 1.1rc1-Tools:

Snapshots get generated, but first some (depending on the
order of generation!), later all of them are unreadable (even
a simple cat fails complaining about that), so mount fails.

I decide this might be due to a bad merge on my side or a
kernel problem, so I downgrade to:

Kernel 2.4.18-rc4
    + LVM 1.1rc1
    + linux-2.4.18-VFS-lock.patch
    + sched-O1-2.4.18-pre8-K3.patch
LVM 1.1rc1-Tools.

Snapshots still unreadable.

I downgrade the Kernel to LVM 1.0.3:

Kernel 2.4.18-rc4
    + LVM 1.0.3
    + linux-2.4.18-VFS-lock.patch
    + sched-O1-2.4.18-pre8-K3.patch
but still with LVM 1.1rc1-Tool

Snapshots still show the same problems as before.

Downgrading to LVM 1.0.3-tools on the running system:
everything works again.

-Wolfgang