[linux-lvm] vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of volume group

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Sat Aug 3 06:36:02 UTC 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 d.levitin at gmx.de wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a problem with my vg00 - the LVM doesn't have it any more. I found
> such postings in the list archive, but I don't want to restore - as I think.
> To the problem:
> I had 10 disks in my Computer (/dev/sda.../dev/sdj) in the vg00. Then I have
> 2 of them (/dev/sdj and /dev/sdi) unplugged. I hoped it would be no problem
> for the LVM to work with the rest 8, but it doesn't do. I dont' worry about
> the volumes on the sdi and sdj, but the other volumes are a problem...
> So why the LVM dosn't see the other disks as well?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help
> Dmitri

Because LVM does not currently mount part volume groups for safety...
I believe at some in in the future this might be solved.

Do you still have /dev/sdj and /dev/sdi you say they are unpluged at the
moment and you don't want access to the info on them... if they have data
that is split onto other pvs use pvmove move so only have lvs you don't
what on those two pvs then use vgsplit to remove them from the vg, then
you can unplug those two disks as they will be in a new volume group.

lv = logical volume
pv = physical volume
vg = volume group

james