[linux-lvm] Trouble recovering physical volumes

mikeywoll at cox.net mikeywoll at cox.net
Wed Aug 7 23:42:02 UTC 2002

I improperly shutdown my pc which resulted in a system
that would not boot.  The root partition is on a logical
volume called root (/dev/hda2) of the volume group vg1,
vg1 also contains a logical volume called home
(/dev/hda6).  Booting would freeze with a vg_read...
error.  I have another computer with lvm installed, and
the drive worked fine on there (I did not try it as the
booting drive).  Because I installed the drive in a
working computer, I have a working backup of the
lvmtab/lvmconf stuff. I followed instructions on this list
for restoring a lost volume.  (pvcreate -ff /dev/hda2...,
vgcfgrestore -n vg1 /dev/hda6, vgchange -ay) The restore
fails at vgcfrestore with the error "physical volume
/dev/hda6 doesn't belong to volume group vg1."  The
logical volume is no longer working in either system.  I
installed the broken drive in my working pc as the primary
master, and have a working system as the secondary master.
I can boot off the second drive, and work on the broken
lvm with the physical drive paths maintained.  I restored
my lvmtab, lvmtab.d, and lvmconf files by hand.

vgchange -ay gives the following error:

physical volume /.......lun0/part6 of volume group vg1 is
offline
physical volume /...../lun0/part6 of volume group vg1 is
inconsistent
vgchange -- run vgscan

Running vgscan runs as if there are no volume groups
defined, and overwrites the lvmtab/lvmconf stuff with
blank files.

running pvdata on the partitions shows the correct data
for my original setup, however it segfaults.

Is there any way to reset the physical volumes so that
vgcfgrestore can do its magic??

thanks in advance for any help.

mike