[linux-lvm] Re: can't mount ext3 snapshot => needs_recovery flag always set on mounted ext3 partitions

Antoine antoine at rezo.net
Fri Aug 9 07:15:02 UTC 2002

Hi again,

Well, I've found out. The problem was the snapshot had been created
while the original volume had the "needs_recovery" flag set. If I
destroy the snapshot and recreate it when the original volume doesn't
have this flag, then I can mount the snapshot.

Now the remaining problem is that, _as soon as_ the original ext3 volume
is mounted, it has the "needs_recovery" flag. That means I cannot create
a usable snapshot volume without first unmounting the original volume
(because otherwise I won't be able to mount the snapshot volume). Is
there a way to work around this, so as to make snapshots without taking
anything down ?

(btw : maybe all this should be put in the documentation ;-))

Regards

Antoine.