[linux-lvm] Urgent, Moving disk from hdc to hdf in existing lvm

kalle at idlar.nu kalle at idlar.nu
Thu Aug 29 06:21:02 UTC 2002

Hello!

We have a problem with one of our servers thats running lvm on linux-2.4.19.
We have 4 discs in the vg, hdb, hdc, hdg and hdh.
When we booted the server this morning hdc did not get online.
We've tried diffrent cables but there seems to be some problem with the secondary controller.
The disc gets online if we put it on the promise controller thats handeling hdg and hdh.

Is it possible to "reconfigure" the vg so that the disk that once was hdc will be hdf? Prefably without loosing data.

Unfortunately we dont have any spare box to move the disks to, so the reconfiguring has to be done with
the old hdc disk already beeing installed as hdf.

Any comments appreciated!

/Regards Kalle