[linux-lvm] adding a bootsector to a PV destroys it ?!?

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Sat Aug 31 19:30:31 UTC 2002

Hi list,

while I have tried to search the archive, I was obviousely to dump to
find what I was looking for.

I just did (on 2.4.19 with LVM 1.0.5)

pvcreate /dev/hda4
vgcreate vg00 /dev/hda4
lvcreated ...
copy ... install ...
.
.
.
vgcfgbackup
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hda4 bs=512 count=1 (*)

[ reboot ]

argl /dev/hda4 is no longer a valid PV.

doing

pvcreate /dev/hda4
vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg00.conf /dev/hda4

recovered all my LVs, so I'm back in the game.

Still, just to make sure:
overwriting the first 512byte of a PV destroy it?

Thanks, and keep up the good work :-)

(*) to backup LILOs boot sector, I wanted to install (shiver) W2k
    and moving lilo from MBR would allow me to recover easily.
--
Goetz Bock       (c) 2002 as     blacknet.de - Munich - Germany   /"\
IT Consultant    GNU FDL 1.1    secure mobile Linux everNETting   \ /