[linux-lvm] mounting ext3 snapshot occasionaly fails

Tomaz Beltram tomazb at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 3 06:35:02 UTC 2002

Hi,

I have similar problems as described in this mailing list some months ago,
regarding mounting snapshots of journaled file systems.

Mounting the snapshot fails and dmesg shows:
EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access unavailable, cannot proceed.

I have observed that the failure is more frequent with longer delays between
snapshot creation and mount time.

The problem was solved with the VFS-lock patch for 2.4.18 kernel. But I am
using LVM 1.0.5 and 2.4.19-SuSE kernel (64GB-SMP). As I understand, it
should already have the VFS-lock patch applied. If not, where can I find
one?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tomaz