[linux-lvm] Recovering from a disaster...

Anders Widman andewid at tnonline.net
Sat Dec 7 03:45:02 UTC 2002

>> Ahem, to fuss a bit, the BIOS is a lodestone that comes with the *PC*
>> architecture.

>   And to fuss a bit more, "the BIOS" is an outdated term.  Most systems do
> not have a single "BIOS" anymore; they have multiple components, each with
> their own "BIOS".  These various "BIOSes" are just firmware; they contain
> what is needed to run the device and bootstrap the OS (plus a ton of legacy
> code leftover from the days of MS-DOS and floppy-only systems).

>> Someday we'll even see PC-class machines without a BIOS.

>   Perhaps I misunderstand, but how does one boot without a BIOS?

Well,  The only thing needed is firmware for various devices that have
the  capability  to  load the OS from some form of media - either over
LAN/Internet, disks, floppy, CD, ROM, etc etc..

Todays  BIOS  are  often around 256KB with lots of old legacy code for
DOS based systems. Most of it is also 16 bit code.

- Anders